Monday, October 08, 2007

~ 6° of separation ~

It is very unlikely that you contact your girl through various degrees of connections. But , there are times in life when you need to depend on the 'Six degrees of separation'. This happened to be one of those situations, where I had to use the 6° to reach my love.

From wiki,

Six degrees of separation refers to the idea that, if a person is one "step" away from each person he or she knows and two "steps" away from each person who is known by one of the people he or she knows, then everyone is no more than six "steps" away from each person on Earth.

I happened to call her over the weekend, but she wasn't answering my call. Tried at various intervals for the next two hours, without much difference. Didn't know why she wasn't answering my calls, didn't want to buzz beyond the difference in time-zones.

Tried reaching her once i woke up at early in the noon (was up late night) yesterday. Called her on the mobile for don't know how many times, but everytime it was in vain.

1° - Decided to reach her on the landline (wanted this to be the last°) but ended being the 1° of separation. I chose it first, since she doesn't socialize on Sundays, was sure of reaching her. But, that never happened, no one seem to answer the call.

2° - Dad. Reaching her through her dad's number. (If you are thinking that her parents know about we going around, then you are wrong, they don't have a clue). By now you must have realised how much I love her and how
crazy 'm. This ° wasn't the best bet either, each time hearing an automated response saying cannot be reached.

3° - Her colleague, who also is her close friend. Didn't want to disturb her, who btw got married last week. Wasn't really sure if I could actually reach the newly wedded couple, still buzzed her. As expected, got a message saying switched off.

4° - Her cousin, who lives in the capital of India. My hopes were dampened, once she didn't answer the calls.

After 4°s, wasn't really sure of what was happening. I decided to complete the book I was currently reading 'All Things Must Pass: The Life of George Harrison', to take a break from being paranoid.

5° - My cousin. Gave her a buzz late in the evening. Asking her to check if she could reach her. She gave me the same response, that she wasn't answering the call.

After giving few more calls before I hit the sack, hoping she buzzes me once she returns form where ever she has been.

Woke up at 4 am today and there you go, thinking of various things which could have happened to her or her family. (The reason I mentioned her family, her dad had recovered from a severe accident couple of years). To end the early morning weird thoughts, I decided to run through all possible connections, common relations we had. After sorting them in ascending order, only thing which floated at the top was to call her workplace and find out if she had left any message.

6° - Workplace. You don't expect people to start at 8:30 am in India. Fortunately, at her workplace, they start at around 7 in the morning. This time around, I was sure someone would answer the call, the receptionist answered. Asked for her, hoping she would connect me to her extension. The lady said, she still hasn't checked in. In response, I instinctively asked her immediate reporting manager's name, whose name used to crop up during our conversations regularly. Then she connected me to her manager. I upraised her of the situation, she said not to worry, I will find out. I said will buzz her in another 20 mins. @ 5am, called her workplace once again, to get an update from her senior. Manager said, "
She isn't answering her". Which didn't make much of a difference to the existing situation. She added,"But, she had called up the workplace to inform she would be reporting late by an two hours. Once she reaches ofice, I will ensure she returns the call". I said that would be great & ended the call. Two hours to go & I wasn't getting any sleep, was just thinking about the programme which I once saw on Discovery Channel, which had aired some experiment on the 6° of separation between two individuals in the world.

So, I analyzing how many °(degrees) of separation I was from my own love & it turns out to be magical 6. Thats how this post originated. Am just waiting to talk to her :)

On a lighter note, wish Google had a service to find whereabouts of a person based on the enormous amount of online personal data which is available to them. May be it would happen one day, time would be factor. Great Idea! ?Google already has Location :P

I have managed to kill time by writing this post, now need to get ready & leave for work. Lets see how the day unfolds....

Have a good one!

Update:
Called her up, she happened to be @ work. She said,
couldn't answer the call on saturday, as she was very tired after a hectic schedule. On Sunday, she was busy with her cousins visiting them from Delhi & they were out for lunch in the afternoon. She was so very busy that she couldn't respond to the calls.

I happened to tell her that I had tried calling across various numbers, to each her. As expected, she didn't like me calling so many people. What she doesn't know is the fact that I have written a post about the whole stuff, am sure she would get wild if she reads this one ;)

6 comments:

Neets said...

did you people get to talk ?

I loved this post. Havent heard of the 6 degrees, but now it seems to be interesting... will read more about it.

Did you finally get to talk? Why didnt she pick the phone?

Neets said...

she might be mad at you if she read this. But i am sure the moment she would have dropped the phone or after she finished reading this, she would definitly appreciate the feeling and concern you have for her. She must thank her stars!

Look at the kind of goodness that breeds in the hearts of my bhakthas!
(Kindly adjust, let matha take some credit!)

vevck said...

Lets see how she would react at this one. Am sure she would say that I am expressing my feelings for her out here, she definitely wouldn't like it.

Her stars are shining brighter than ever since she met me. It holds good the other way around as well.

MNM taking the credit for this too??? I don't mind u taking the credit, if u can be bless me while she gets mad @ me after readin this one.

Neets said...

bhaktha, there is this song i like. Its not your kind of music i guess. But the lyrics is something you definitely can appreciate...

Brad Paisley - She's Everything

She's a yellow pair of running shoes
A holey pair of jeans
She looks great in cheap sunglasses
She looks great in anything
She's I want a piece of chocolate
Take me to a movie
She's I can't find a thing to wear
Now and then she's moody

She's a Saturn with a sunroof
With her brown hair a-blowing
She's a soft place to land
And a good feeling knowing
She's a warm conversation
That I wouldn't miss for nothing
She's a fighter when she's mad
And she's a lover when she's loving

[Chorus]
And she's everything I ever wanted
And everything I need
I talk about her, I go on and on and on
'Cause she's everything to me

She's a Saturday out on the town
And a church girl on Sunday
She's a cross around her neck
And a cuss word 'cause its Monday
She's a bubble bath and candles
Baby come and kiss me
She's a one glass of wine
And she's feeling kinda tipsy

She's the giver I wish I could be
And the stealer of the covers
She's a picture in my wallet
Of my unborn children's mother
She's the hand that I'm holding
When I'm on my knees and praying
She's the answer to my prayer
And she's the song that I'm playing

[Repeat chorus]

She's the voice I love to hear
Someday when I'm ninety
She's that wooden rocking chair
I want rocking right beside me
Everyday that passes
I only love her more
Yeah, she's the one
That I'd lay down my own life for

And she's everything I ever wanted
And everything I need
She's everything to me
Yeah she's everything to me

Everything I ever wanted
And everything I need
She's everything to me

Neets said...

By the way, pardon the marketing... but if you want the song you can by it from any Matha's cool Merchandise store... and buy Matha's collection of personally blessed Love Song collections... made up of 3 CDs. Costs about Rs.3,000 only.... (y so muc? the blessings cost more).
Ok have to go now. The next consignment of CDs have arrived... have to go to bless them now.
TATA

small squirrel said...

viv, dear... not to be a smart ass, but that's me... six degrees is not exactly like you mention... it would have to be this way... you call your cousin, who calls his sister, who talks to a brother-in law, who tells his dad, who happens to be friends with your girlfriend's mom...

six degrees doesn't mean you try 6 different methods, it means you can go through 6 people (with you OUT of the loop) to get back to yourself.

anyway, man, did she kick your behind after you wrote about her like this? :)